Cataloging the Collection

This time last month, I detailed my collection of miniatures, which has since been added to. I know most of what I've got in my collection but I thought it would be useful to have a system to identify my painting progress with them.

With that in mind, I've started building a spreadsheet.

The sheet consists of an overview tab (as above) showing a breakdown of each game system or company and a tab for each game or company, along with an "Others" sheet for those companies that I might only have one or two minis from. The breakdown shows the number of miniatures still boxed, built, PIP (Paint In Progress), finished and total miniatures, followed by a completion percentage.

Each line on the overview expands to show the different factions or grouping within each game.



The completion percentage on the right hand side has a conditional formula on it, which is set to change colour depending on how many miniatures I have finished. As you can probably tell, 0-25% is red, with 25-50% in orange, 50-75% in yellow and 75-100% is an elusive green.

The individual sheets all show each individual model type, split between their factions.


It looks a little silly having the totals showing one mini per line but the idea is that once I get to a sheet with multiples of certain types - Space Marines with bolters, for example, it will look a little better.

This is going to be a slow burning project - I've so far only added in my Guild Ball and Knight Models collections. The sheer number of miniatures that I'd need to sort out is something I don't really want to think about. I do plan on slowly adding to it from the current collection, but I think the main way to do things is to add all new miniatures as they arrive with me and go from there.

6 comments:

  1. That's a great idea and something I really should do myself, I'm to confused to remember what I have most of the time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest challenge for me will be tracking down every last marine, guardsman, elf and saurus warrior so I'll probably be leaving my GW stuff for last.

      I'm hoping all the red bits persuade me to get painting on groups of minis rather than flicking from one group to another to try and get a nice green element on there.

      Delete
  2. Good idea, and something I'm a fan of. Numbers are less important for me, so I track in Trello to do quick filtering and work out what's where. Going to nick your "built but not started" category though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to use a Kanban system but after it shut down I've had a hard time finding one with the features I "need" that doesn't cost too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trello may do that job for you, as at the core it's simply a Kanban board with a tasty set of features.

      Delete
    2. I've tried it couple of times but there's a couple of things missing and I'm to stubborn to change my ways ;). But it was some time ago I tried it so I probably should try it again.

      Delete